This time last year

I wanted to remember what it was like to be a Kings fan this time last year. In March, Rich’s question was, who is the Kings’ best defenseman? The choices? Rob Blake, Kevin Dallman, Peter Harrold, Jack Johnson, Jon Klemm, Tom Preissing, Lubomir Visnovsky.

Seems like about a million years ago.

via Seriously…who? – Inside the Kings .

7 comments for “This time last year

1. worldhockeydaily
    March 21, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Lubo was the best of the bunch.

2. qwisp
    March 21, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Agreed.

3. worldhockeydaily
    March 21, 2009 at 1:03 PM

By the way, it looks like Sopel, Blake, Corvo, Gleason, Stuart, and Lubo are all going to the post-season.

4. qwisp
    March 21, 2009 at 1:16 PM

And I like most of those guys. Especially Gleason, Stuart and Lubo. Of course, if we had retained them all, we’d have $24MM in salary for defense. I think, in the long run, we’ll be happier with Doughty, Johnson, Greene, Quincey, Hickey, Teubert, Voynov, Campbell, Kidd, etc…

5. worldhockeydaily
    March 21, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Sigh…
    You may be correct.
    We’ll see.

-cristobal.

PS – I feel I’m close to being ex-communicated by Hammond.
    I could fill volumes with all the comments I’ve had deleted.

6. worldhockeydaily
    March 21, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Funny, Quisp, but I actually liked Sopel a lot.
    I know he wasn’t the most healthy, but he’s one of the ones I didn’t want traded.

I am still amazed, however, that Taylor got Gleason for Smoke when he did.
    Of course, I never approved of the way Grebeshkov wasn’t given more time with the big club, but maybe he needed more development time.
    I’d really like to have him back, judging by his stats.
    I actually haven’t seen him play, that I can recall, since his time with the Kings.
    Funny, too, that Tambellini has been potting some goals lately.
    I hope he sticks in the league and has some success.

cheers quisp.
    I think you should do more writing on this thing.
    Why give all your stuff away for someone else to display?

7. qwisp
    March 21, 2009 at 1:52 PM

The Gleason/Smolinski trade was great, and I liked Smolinski. Grebeshkov and Tambellini both have some fine qualities. Not everyone is a good fit when they come up; it’s not really (necessarily) the fault of the management or the player, but of the circumstance. Look at Quincey. Was Holland an idiot? I don’t think so. He had several tough choices to make. But we certainly benefited from that circumstance and I hope we retire Quincey’s number in twenty years.

I will do more writing if I have the time, which I don’t really. As it is, I’m happy to have a “drawer” to stuff all the interesting crap I find while I’m browsing around wasting time.