His last win was in mid-December of 2008. Since Quick was called up, Ersberg has lost ten straight. So I don’t think anyone can argue that he’s “resilient” and “he’ll bounce back.” At least not from the evidence.

[UPDATE: and here’s something else. Take a look at last year’s goalie stats sorted by wins. Notice anything? And I mean apart from the fact that the bottom two names on the list are LaBarbera and Ersberg… There isn’t a single playoff team whose back-up has a losing record.]

6 comments for “I Would Just Like to Point Out That Erik Ersberg Has Not Won a Single Game Since Jonathan Quick Joined the Kings

1. October 15, 2009 at 11:46 AM

There’s still hope. Michael Leighton had a 6-7 record last year as a backup, yet the ‘Canes made the playoffs.

2. October 15, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Oh yeah, so did Curtis McElhinney for the Flames. 1-6!!!

3. Mike
    October 15, 2009 at 3:13 PM

So are you going to go all Anthony on us and make Ersberg your Justin Williams?

• quisp
      October 15, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Nah. I like Ersberg. Which is why I was kinda surprised to see how bad his numbers have been since last December.

4. October 15, 2009 at 3:13 PM

I hear ya, Kwisp, but what’s the alternative? Right now Quick is our number one goaltender, which means the backup net minder isn’t going to get a lot of games in. I’d rather have Bernier tear it up in Manchester one more year than have him ride the pine for 70 games.

But, if that’s what makes the difference between this team making the playoffs and no, screw it, bring him up.

By the way, why the hell didn’t Murray start Ersberg tonight?

5. quisp
    October 15, 2009 at 10:31 PM

I’m not railing against Ersberg, really. Just looking at the numbers. I agree that he’s the best choice right now. I guess if the trend continues, I would expect a change. But all of that is premature at this point.