Quick Transition

Early in the season, someone observed that Quick was letting in some weird (i.e. soft) goals in the wins, but standing on his head in the losses. Last couple of games, it’s happening in the losses. Maybe he’s tired. Maybe it would be a good idea to waive/trade Ersberg and bring up Bernier and let them split the games for awhile.

7 comments for “Quick Transition

1. Mike
    November 10, 2009 at 8:26 AM

I’d give Ersberg another shot first

2. November 10, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Never. Bernier stays in Manchester the whole year. He belongs there and right now what is better for him is better for the team in the long run.

Give Iceberg a game or two, if he can’t handle the spot duty, trade for Legacy.

Bernier is not the savior waiting in the wings. He is the stalwart training diligiently in the courtyard. He is not there to rescue others when they are in need. He is there to lead the charge once his training is complete. That won’t be until he has shown a pro game over a full pro season and a good pro playoff run.

• quisp
      November 10, 2009 at 10:08 AM

Surly –

That’s one way it could play out. But I’m not sure anyone can really say Bernier “belongs” in the AHL right now. He does until he doesn’t, right? Like Quick.

3. quisp
    November 10, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Mike —

They will. A lot will be determined by this road trip, I think. I’m not down on Quick or even EE, really. Just noting the trend and also that DL is not likely to let the goaltending situation play out for a big chunk of the season, given the heightened expectations this year. If Quick and Ersberg both falter, Bernier will get the call. So far, they their play hasn’t sunk to that level. EE has played one game. Quick has been great with hiccups.

4. November 10, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Well true, he only belongs because Dean says he belongs. Is his talent at an NHL level? I truly think it is. Hell, his head might even be.

But the idea is to have him absolutely MASTER the AHL level before attempting the NHL. Quick would have been better off doing that as well, but it was a very unfortunate situation that made his call up necessary. We aren’t there yet with Quick, far from it and I would prefer a trade for a vet back-up before forcing Bernier into the NHL.

• quisp
      November 10, 2009 at 11:37 AM

I share your concern. However, it would not hurt JB at all to get ten games in this year. Bring him up, play him, send him down. Repeat. You know, it occurs to me that if, when Bernier finally does get the call, if he actually does turn into the second coming of Ken Dryden, Lombardi will have turned out to be some kind of wily genius. Unconsciously, I think I expect disappointment.