Self-Serving Moulson Premonition

Matt Moulson is now being cited as one of the 10 biggest stories of the year in the NHL. Who could have predicted that?
September 24, 2008 6:01 PM
Quisp said:

Purcell’s dominating season in the AHL puts him a notch above Moulson for now, but it’s clearly possible for either one of them to excel. Purcell is more a natural top-six type. Moulson has been thought of as third line, but could easily be second line material. The interesting thing about Moulson is that he is a natural left winger, and that’s something of a rarity (Luuuuuuuc).

October 21, 2008 11:22 AM
Quisp said:

Anthony, you’re like that that 60s Star Trek creature they kept firing their phasers into, before they realized it fed off the energy; [...]But I can’t help myself: [you wrote] “Were Kopitar and Brown healthy scratches tonight? Oh, I’m sorry. I forgot. They were on the same line with the Magnificent Moulson. With the exception of one shift, Kopi and Brown were invisible. They even looked frustrated with their linemate. But what can you say, Terry Murray loves the magnificent Moulson.”

Anthony, I don’t think you should write off Moulson just yet. He is a natural goal scorer. Murray knows it. Lombardi knows it. You’d rather we ditch him now so he can do it for some other team?

October 21, 2008 8:56 PM
Quisp said:

Moulson has a knack for scoring. Moller has a knack for scoring. Purcell has a knack for scoring. Simmonds has a knack for scoring. Give them the time it takes them to feel comfortable, where they stop thinking, “damn, I’m in the NHL!” [...] And don’t forget, Moller and Simmonds arrived at least a year early (even by my optimistic projection). When that tree bears fruit, nobody is going to miss Michael Cammalleri.

October 21, 2008 9:18 PM
cristobal said:

Ok quisp. I’ll take your word and wait for Moulson to flower. You’ve been correct about Moller and Simmonds.

November 30, 2008 9:04 PM
Quisp said:

Moulson scored 25 and 28 goals in his last two AHL seasons, and last year managed 9 points in 22 games with the Kings (roughly same as Moller this year over the same number of games). [someone commented that] Moulson…”should stop thinking he’s an offensive player because he’s not.” Why? Because, the rest of his career notwithstanding, he didn’t click with Brown and Kopitar who so far this season have clicked with exactly nobody, not even each other?

April 20, 2009 11:33 AM

Quisp said:

Moulson will definitely find a home somewhere. He’s a left wing (always coveted); he’s got the skill set; he’s affordable. It comes down to a bunch of stuff we can’t know, whether Moulson wants to play for the Kings, likes TM and/or DL, whether they value him or think he’s useful. it will be easy to lose him, since he can sign anywhere and the Kings — who have announced they will be big players in the UFA market this summer — appear to have their sights set a bit higher. [...] Moulson’s offensive upside is at least what Boyle’s is. He’s a kid who could easily show up on another team scoring quite a few goals, causing us to gnash our teeth in frustration and shame.

May 27, 2009 11:11 AM
Quisp said:

Matt Moulson is also a UFA (VI) this summer. I know people are tempted/inclined to write him off, given his uninspiring performance with the Kings last season. But I hold out as much hope for him as for Boyle. For one thing, he’s a LEFT WING. Which we have exactly one of (Frolov). Two, he’s one of those guys who isn’t especially fast or graceful, or physical, or especially ANYTHING, other than he has a knack for putting the puck in the net. You know, like that Luc guy. Now, I’m not saying he’s Luc, or even 1/2 Luc, which I would take. But I think it’s just as likely that Moulson could score thirty goals for someone else than Boyle being the one to do it.

The problem is, Moulson can sign anywhere he wants after 7/1, so DL would actually have to want him bad enough to stop him from shopping himself elsewhere. And there will be takers, because he’s a guy who can score.

June 24, 2009 1:45 PM
Quisp said:

I agree completely that we need help on the left side. By 2011, at least one of Wudrick, King or Clune should have arrived. And maybe — maaaaaaaybe — Moulson gets signed and sticks this time. I still hold out hope that he’s one of those Robitaille-like guys who can score a ton despite the fact that people think he shouldn’t be able to skate in this league. He has “the knack.”

7 comments for “Self-Serving Moulson Premonition

1. BakoCAkingsCondorsGuy
    November 17, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Quispie,

You were right.

Next Question: PURCELL??????????
    Will it take another year or another team for him to flourish?
    Problem: The Kings need him NOW.

• January 17, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Oh well.

2. quisp
    November 17, 2009 at 1:02 PM

It’s impossible to know whether Purcell will be able to answer the bell thisseason. My guess would be that he gets sent down to Manchester and gets recalled later. If Smyth is out a couple of games (haven’t heard the extent of his UBI), certainly Purcell will get a shot at non-4th line duty. Do they move Frolov up to LW1 and slide Purcell into LW3? Move Williams over and promote Simmonds? Bring Lewis back from Manch? I don’t know. I’m almost sure Purcell will have a real NHL career somewhere. He is learning to play on both sides of the puck. (And look at Kopitar last year compared to this year: it takes time to figure it out.) If he gets the defensive side of his game down, he’ll be able to play anywhere (a la Eric Belanger) as a very useful third liner with power play abilities. If not, he won’t last long anywhere. Regarding his long term prognosis with the Kings, it has as much to do with whether he ripens before other prospects, namely: Moller, Loktionov, Schenn and Clifford. I think two of those guys will be on the team next year. Maybe three. Let’s say it’s Schenn and Clifford (I love Moller and think he’ll make it, but let’s leave him out just to give Teddy a chance):

Smyth/Kopitar/Williams
    Parse/Stoll/Brown
    Frolov/Handzus/Simmonds
    Clifford/Schenn/…Purcell?

I left Frolov in on the assumption that if he doesn’t re-sign he’ll be traded so there will be someone else decent in his place. Could that line-up happen? It’s possible. (I’m assuming there’s a knuckle-dragger and a utility guy as healthy scratches.) But that assumes no Moller, no Loktionov, no anybody else who might want to be heard from (Wudrick comes to mind).

It’s going to get tighter and tighter, all of which makes Teddy’s prospects with the Kings less certain if he doesn’t make it happen now. But I still think he will find a home somewhere and be at least a 20-goal guy. And, frankly, I still think he could score 20 this year for us.

• DougS
      November 17, 2009 at 1:44 PM

I agree that it’s too early to give up on Purcell. I hadn’t thought of Eric Belanger as a possible comparable for him, but if that turns out to be the case, the Kings will be well rewarded for showing a little patience.

I was never entirely down on Moulson, but my main regret is not that the Kings lost him, but that they got no assets in return. Even so, it’s worth noting here that for the first time I can remember, we’re talking about the Kings’ younger players being pushed from behind by still more prospects! Even if we do give up on Purcell too early, there’s several guys who could credibly take his place. The mind reels.

3. quisp
    November 17, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Yes. It’s a shift from “why did we have to lose that guy? he could have helped us not suck!” to “someone is going to have to go be good somewhere else because he’s going to be beaten out by someone better in our system.” That is going to have to happen in a couple of years with the goalies. Obviously, not all of Quick, Bernier, Zatkoff and Jones will be starting for the Kings. And D: Voynov or Hickey? And at forward, there are certainly going to be some decisions re Moller, Loktionov, Schenn, Clifford, Purcell, Lewis, Parse, Clune and whoever else…essentially eight guys who WILL play in the NHL (six if you’re really cynical, but I think they all will), and how many spots are there? Two this year. Who’s leaving before next summer? Yeah, it’s a good problem to have.

4. Pingback: Homepage