If Phoenix this, if the Kings that –

It’s very simple:
  • If the Kings don’t win tomorrow, they are in 8th, no matter what anyone else does.
  • If the Coyotes win tomorrow, they are in 3rd, no matter what anyone else does.
  • If the Coyotes win and the Kings win, the Kings are in 7th.
  • If the Coyotes lose and the Kings win, the Kings are in 3rd.
  • The Coyotes can’t finish 8th. If they win, it’s 3rd. If they lose, it’s 7th.
  • If the Coyotes lose in overtime or a shootout (i.e. pick up a Bettman point) the Kings must win in regulation or OT (i.e. pick up an ROW) in order to finish 3rd. If the Kings win in a shoot-out, they lose the ROW tie-breaker and finish 7th.

15 comments for “If Phoenix this, if the Kings that –

1. Doughty99
    April 7, 2012 at 2:20 AM

I’m curious to read arguments and hopefully stir up some good internet (friendly) debate….

Let’s play best case/worst scenario:

– Assume the Kings finish 3rd: who would you rather play? Det or Chi?
    – Assume the Kings don’t finish 3rd: who would you rather play? Van or StL?
    – Of all four possible opponents (taking Home-ice into account), which is the team you fear most? least?

Obviously, all these matchups will be tough. That said, I’ll take Chi as my “ideal” scenario (banged up Toews, shaky ‘tending, but most of all, Game 7 at home matters to me more than anything else).
    I’ll take Van as “worst case” just because of StL’s inexperience and more defensive style. That said, I am quietly confident the Kings can win all four of these potential series. In fact, nothing would make me happier than seeing the Kings play three of these four opponents.

• Niesy
      April 7, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Chicago and Vancouver by a nose I guess, though I see your arguments about STL. Their style is so similar to ours, it would be interesting to see how it would shake out. They have a very strong/balanced club all the way down to the 4th line.

• April 7, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Welcome! Don’t you want your little bernie face next to your name? I don’t believe it’s really you until I see that face.

• Niesy
          April 7, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Yeah I’m trying to figure this out, haha. I think I might need to crop Bernie to get the dimensions right!

• Niesy
            April 7, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Actually, can you help me? How do I put up an avatar?

• April 7, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Go to http://en.gravatar.com/ and register. Gravitar allows you to set one avatar for many (most?) locations on the internets.

• April 7, 2012 at 4:54 PM

if you just log in via twitter it’ll show up automatically

• Niesy
              April 7, 2012 at 5:06 PM

test

• April 7, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Sports voodoo prevents me from preferring one opponent over another. There’s a “be careful what you wish for” clause.

I really have no preference. although I do like the sound of Sharks vs. Canucks and Coyotes vs. Hawks, so I guess I want Kings vs. Blues by default.

I wish the Wings could play Chicago in the first round.

• DougS
      April 7, 2012 at 1:07 PM

With Toews out pretty much indefinitely, I can see the argument for Chicago being the preferred opponent. But Detroit has negative momentum, so….

Between Vancouver or St. Louis…. I don’t know; St. Louis seems to be fading a bit down the stretch, but they still do a good job of cutting off the Kings’ counterattack. Plus, the prospect of taking part in Luongo’s annual post-season implosion is alluring. :-)

I’m not sure that I see a lot of daylight between any of those four teams as a first-round matchup.

• sstephen17
        April 9, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Vancouver was the team I least wanted to play, strictly because of their obnoxious (and numerous) fans that will undoubtedly descend on Staples Center.

2. PokeCheck
    April 7, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Scenario – Coyotes lose in OT or SO.  Kings and Sharks tied after regulation.  If you are Sutter, do you pull Quick in the OT period for an extra attacker?  I would pull Quick – the advantage of home ice in Round 1 and maybe in Round 2 (StL is vulnerable in Round 1) is worth the risk.

• April 7, 2012 at 12:48 PM

In that scenario, the Kings’ choice is between 3rd (win in OT), 7th (win in SO), and 8th (lose in any configuration). The Sharks choice is between 7th (win) and 8th (lose).

Hmm. Darryl Sutter likes his home ice. I think he might pull the goalie. On the other hand: ew, the power play.

3. Uni
    April 7, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I don’t prefer Chicago or St. Louis. I just don’t want the Kings to finish 8th. I think there’s a lot to be said about winning the last game of the season heading into the playoffs and beating rival Sharks to knock them down to the playoff cellar. Most of all, I really would love to see them win the Division. It would be such a sweet victory for a season of so many ups and downs.

Other than that, I am confident about the Kings against anyone.

4. Pingback: my url