JARRET STOLL DOES NOT SHOOT HIGH GLOVE (Post-Series Bullets)

• My son had just finished telling me Stoll always shoots high glove. And yet.
  • The boy is 8 years old. It’s his first series win as a Kings’ fan.
  • He jumped up and down for at least 30 seconds.
  • As we all know, 11 years since the last series win.
  • And before that, 1993.
  • Trevor Lewis, with that poke-check (forced turnover of Hamhuis), has definitively earned his 17th overall selection in 2006.
  • The play in OT where the Canucks almost scored was offssides.
  • Richardson contributed to the Canucks’ goal (with his penalty) and made up for it with the tying goal.
  • I guess we’re all used to saying or hearing: Quick made a handful of amazing saves, without which — (etc.)
  • I agree with Jim Fox: rolling four lines pays off. Kings didn’t appear worn down.
  • Goals by Stoll, Richardson, assist by Lewis, huge contributions by third and fourth lines.
  • First NHL series wins for Quick, Bernier, Brown, Kopitar, Doughty, Voynov, Lewis, Richardson, King, Nolan, Loktionov, Drewiske and Westgarth (and Parse).
  • Up next: the St. Louis Blues.

15 comments for “JARRET STOLL DOES NOT SHOOT HIGH GLOVE (Post-Series Bullets)

1. April 22, 2012 at 8:26 PM

When’s the last time the Kings won a series against either a Canadian team or the only American team in the NHL located north of Canada?

Anyway, bring on the seven 1-0 games against the Blues.

• Garrett79
      April 22, 2012 at 10:08 PM

1993

• April 23, 2012 at 7:43 AM

I screwed that up last night in my excitement – I meant when’s the last time we beat a non-Canadian / may-as-well-be-Canadian team.  It’d have to be… geez, very early 80s? Maybe even before that?

• scsf
          April 23, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Geoff, I’m not entirely sure where you’re going with this – and it could well be my fault – but either way it doesn’t matter since we’ve all earned a couple of days of jubilation as longstanding fans.

That said, our victory over Detroit in 2001 was definitely sweet.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE8l-8eDcdg

• April 23, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Basically, due to the quirks of the old Smythe division, the Detroit win is the Kings’ only series win against a US team since I was watching He-Man cartoons and likely earlier than that.

Sort of like how the Kings are the only team to beat three Canadian teams in one playoff run and the only team to play four straight series against Canadian teams.

2. Tyfighter77
    April 22, 2012 at 8:40 PM

My throat is sore, I probably gave my Utah neighbors heartattacks when Stolly put that in.  Plus I almost put my hand through the ceiling I jumped so high.  Well, no pain no gain right?  I’m as sweaty as if I had actually put in a few shifts.
    If I feel like this now – what would winning the cup feel like?

3. DougS
    April 22, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Let’s not forget Lewis’ goal in Game 2. That was a grown man’s goal. He wasn’t going to give up on that one until he got the better of the entire Canucks team.

• Tyfighter77
      April 22, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I think Lewis played huge this series, as he did last year (was that last year?).

• Rmacaulay1
        April 23, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Sucks we have to wait until the playoffs for Lewis to contribute offensively.

• DougS
          April 23, 2012 at 1:15 PM

But he’s a fine defensive player year-round; the Kings’ best PK forward except perhaps for Richards. Why harp on the negative? He’s still young and has time to improve.

• Doughty99
          April 24, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Take the 101NB a few hundred miles if you’re looking for a team of players who contribute in the regular season and choke in the playoffs.

April 22, 2012 at 10:10 PM

This is the first time since the 1-8 seeding format began in 1994 that a #8 seed has defeated a #1 seed in fewer than 6 games.  Same obviously goes for a President’s Trophy winner (who would have to be a #1 seed).

Also the first time in Kings history that they have won a Best-of-7 in fewer than 6 games.

• DougS
      April 23, 2012 at 1:18 PM

The world is turned upside down, if only for a day. :-) This morning, we all woke up to weather that was more like Vancouver’s than LA’s.

5. OneTimer
    April 22, 2012 at 11:58 PM

“He jumped up and down for at least 30 seconds.”

I’m 44 years old … I know the feeling.

6. sstephen17
    April 23, 2012 at 9:10 AM

My first thought when Stoll scored was Gary Schuchuck, lol.  Just something about an OT playoff goal to beat Vancouver.  I barely got to see the handshake since I was responding to all the text messages from my friends.