Game 4, Pre-Game: well, THIS is new

• The Kings have never swept a seven-game series before.
  • They’ve never been up 3-0 before either.
  • As far as I can tell, their longest playoff winning streak is five games, starting with the last four games of the 2001 Detroit series and continuing with a win in game one of round two against Colorado.
  • They also won four in a row in 1991: last three games of the first round against Vancouver, and the first game of the second round against Edmonton.
  • The Kings’ longest losing streak is 14 games: the last four games of the Montreal series in 1993, the sweeps by St. Louis (1998) and Detroit (2000), and the first two games of the Detroit series in 2001.

6 comments for “Game 4, Pre-Game: well, THIS is new

1. Tyfighter77
    April 18, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Hard to believe.  Last year going into the playoffs I more like it could be our ‘year’ than I have this year.  For some reason I still feel that way EVEN THOUGH I was pretty confident we’d beat Vancouver.  Come to think of it, the only 1st round matchups that would have made me nervous would have been the Sharks or Detroit.

Looking ahead though I’m a bit curious what’s happening with Parse.

Parse > Loktionov > Richardson (IMO) so why Richardson?

If Parse is participating in full practice is he’s no longer on IR and he’s just ‘scratched’ right?

• DougS
      April 18, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I don’t think Parse has resumed full practice or been declared game-ready yet. Hammond says he and Clifford wore red non-contact jerseys today.

Besides, how many months has it been since Parse played an NHL game? To throw him into the playoffs and expect him to contribute would be almost cruel, I think.

• Tyfighter77
        April 18, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Ah.  I must have read Rich’s post incorrectly.  And yes, that’s a good point about the time off, but it depends on the player I suppose.  Some guys come back with a vengeance, but Parse hasn’t struck me as that type for some reason.  Wasn’t he injured for most of the season last year and came back in time for the playoffs?  I can’t remember how he performed.

Also, now that I’ve thought about it for awhile, as a fourth-line winger Richardson probably is better than Loktionov.  I’m always rooting for the kid.  That chance he had on his first playoff shift was heartbreaking.  Can you imagine if he had put that in?  He was finally getting hot when he was sent down and it looked like he was about to keep it going.

April 18, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Effing stupid shorthanded penalty shot. That is a no-win situation for the shorthanded team. Score and you just rested the opposition’s power play so they can come back out and re-take the lead (obviously I’m talking about this particular game). Fail to score and the other team still has its power play.

It actually rewards the team who commits the foul because they get a rest and no matter what they’re staying on the power play.

That situation should allow for the team who was fouled to choose whether to take the penalty shot or a 2-minute minor for the infraction. How stupid is the current way it’s done?

Had the Kings had the choice, undoubtedly they go with two-minute minor to even up the on-ice man power (no snub to Brown, even though the fact is he is not good on shootouts/penalty shots, but it’s what the situation calls for) so that at that even if it’s a tie game, you’re not putting the other team immediately back on the power play, and then you yourself will get a short power play after. At the very least, the Kings would have finished this game down only one goal with a legitimate chance to tie. At best, they score on their power play and force overtime.

Stupid rule. Absolutely retarded.

• Tyfighter77
      April 19, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Agree about everything except Brown is great in the shootout.

3. Tyfighter77
    April 19, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I expected to get up this morning to find all my Kings/NHL sites talking
    about the Sedin hit on Brown!  What’s going on here!  I know the call
    was missed on the ice but this should result in a suspension.  I’m not
    the sort to throw suspensions around willy-nilly, but good grief!

Here are the facts:

Brown was still down recovering from a hard check seconds before
    The puck is nowhere near him.
    Henrick has full control of his direction, lines up brown to deliver his hit
    The principle points of contact are an elbow -an ELBOW- to the head -HEAD- and face of Brown
    Brown was injured on the play
    This could be seen as retaliation for a much publicized hit by Brown on Henrick in a previous game

Conclusion:
    This is a delayed hit that was dangerous, easily avoidable and clearly an intent to injure a player that had already been taken out of the play.  It is charging, it resulted in an injury.  It is gross negligence and an irresponsible play that was very likely retaliation.  It was a charging elbow to the head of player who was already down.