Points-Blown Standings have their own page now, and have been updated. See the menu above.
- The Kings arrived at 93 points.
- 93 points is good enough to make the playoffs in 2/3 of sportsclubstats’ several million simulations of the last week of the season.
- 94 points (one more point out of their last two games) is good enough to make the playoffs (according to SCS) in 95% of the simulations.
- 95 points (two more points) is good enough in 99.8% of the simulations.
What We Want: Sharks
- If the Sharks lose in regulation, they will stay 3 points behind the Kings (yay), but more importantly:
- The Kings would stay two ROW (regulation or OT wins) ahead of the Sharks. This would mean:
- Even if the Sharks were to sweep the weekend against the Kings, the best they could do is pull even with the Kings in ROWs.
- Here’s a chart of the Kings/Sharks possibilities. The rows represent the different possible outcomes of tonight’s Sharks/Stars game (Sharks win or OT win, Sharks SO win, Sharks OTL or SOL, Sharks loss in regulation). The columns represent the outcomes of the two Kings/Sharks games, from the Kings’ point-of-view (Kings win both in regulation, Kings win one in regulation and one in OT/SO, Kings win both in OT, etc.).
- The possible outcomes of Sharks/Kings final standings positions are color-coded. Purple means Kings prevail; Teal means Sharks prevail. “PTS” mean the team prevails by virtue of having a higher point-total; “ROW” means the team prevails in the ROW tie-breaker; “SS” means the team prevails in the season-series tie-breaker; “GD” means they go to the “goal-differential” tie-breaker, the outcome of which depends obviously on the scores of the remaining games.
What We Want: Stars
- Dallas has Nashville and St. Louis after San Jose. They can, at best, reach 95 points.
- If they do that (unlikely), the Kings would need to get to 96, since the Stars have a one ROW edge on the Kings right now and they would probably maintain it with those three wins.
- It’s probably the most sane to root for Dallas tonight to beat San Jose and then root against them to drop at least one of their last two games (Preds and Blues).
What We Want: Coyotes
- Oh, we just want them to lose.
- There is a possibility of a three or even four-way tie between/among LAK, SJS, PHX and DAL. That gets very complicated and interesting. We’ll cross that river when the bridge is built.