My Solution to the Bob and Jim Problem

Kings fans are understandably upset that they don’t get to listen to Bob Miller and Jim Fox call the rest of the Kings’ playoff games. And everyone is upset on behalf of Bob and Jim themselves, who are of course fans. Bob has frequently voiced his fear that the Kings will win their first cup only after he retires. Presumably, if he retired he would still have a television, so his real issue is not whether he gets to see it or not, but whether he gets to call the game.

If NBC does not relent to the grass-roots movement to get Bob and Jim instated as announcers for (if if if if if) any potential Kings SCF games, here is my suggestion:

For away games, have a watch party at Staples, with Bob and Jim calling the game live. For home games, have the watch party somewhere else — or at multiple somewhere elses — with Bob and Jim calling the game live. Release all the private broadcasts as a special DVD set for the fans. Make it a charity event. Get NBC to donate its broadcast rights (for the video feed) in the name of charity. Or else, pitch it to NBC as a special project, and give them all the money.

We don’t care who gets the money. We just want our team to be the whole team.

9 comments for “My Solution to the Bob and Jim Problem

1. Kenny Minster
    May 12, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I just don’t understand what idiot decided Brian Haywire would be a good choice to work Kings post season. You can tell he went from typical King hater and always complimenting the other team, to being nice about the Kings’ play. I bet an NBC exec had a talk with him before game 3 of the Blues’ series.

• May 12, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Strangely, it turns out, when he’s not warped by hate, he’s a pretty smart guy.

• DougS
        May 12, 2012 at 4:07 PM

True — Hayward’s problem is not lack of intelligence or inability to use the English language or lack of on-air presence. He’s quite competent on all of those counts. His problem is that he seems to view his job as being a partisan hack for the Ducks.

• May 12, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Also, I (still) just love your favicon.

• USHA#17
        May 13, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Wonder how it would look reversed…

2. DougS
    May 12, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Love your idea re: Bob and Jim, and I would certainly pay to hear them call the SCF with the Kings in it, whether live or recorded. Maybe Kings Care could make it work, as they did with the Penner breakfast.

But I think Bob’s motivations are not so much about wanting to call an SCF game with the Kings in it, but about being part of an organization that achieved the ultimate NHL prize. I remember that episode of Bill MacDonald’s old Sports Roundtable show on FSW when he got Bob, Vin Scully and Chick Hearn together — Vin wore one of his World Series rings, Chick wore one of his NBA Championship rings, and all poor Bob could do was quip that he had a wedding ring.

Like I said on JFtC the other day, Bob has been around and knows how it is with local broadcasters and championship series. If you want to be sure of working a championship series, get a national network contract. As a Dodgers fan, the only reason I got to hear Scully call the 1988 World Series on TV was his NBC contract. When he didn’t have a national contract and the Dodgers made the playoffs, he would crowd into the radio booth with Ross Porter. and take some innings. As a Lakers fan, I always had to put up with… I want to say Dick Stockton or Brent Musburger, or some wooden-head like that calling the Finals on TV. Chick got to call the games, but only for radio, and only because he “simulcasted” during the regular season and did both TV and radio anyway.

The Kings would still have a radio broadcasting team at the SCF, wouldn’t they? I’d be surprised if exclusive national radio rights for the SCF have been sold. So Nick and Daryl will be there. It would be impolitic for Bob and Jim to displace them entirely. But what if, say, Bob and Jim called periods 1 +3 with Nick and Daryl doing period 2?

• USHA#17
      May 13, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I would think that this would be a problem (and unfair) for Nixon…Why not have a 2nd stream on the NET?

• DougS
        May 13, 2012 at 6:35 PM

It might be. But there were years when the Dodgers got into the playoffs and Scully wasn’t working games for national TV or radio, and he just shoved into the radio booth at the expense of Ross Porter.

I think a lot would depend on how well the broadcast team gets along. By all accounts that I’ve heard, Scully Porter and Jerry Doggett were all nice guys who didn’t have ego problems with each other. I get the same vibe from Bob and Jim and Nick and Daryl.