Doan got a game misconduct last night

This is the first I’ve heard of it, but maybe I was too busy celebrating.

Coyotes captain rankled by Brown hit – USA Today

It was a Shane Doan we never saw before.

Bitter. Frustrated. Unhinged.

“I bit my tongue this whole series,” he said. “This whole series.”

The Phoenix Coyotes’ magical season came to an end Tuesday at Jobing.com Arena and it was hard for the captain to bow out gracefully.

Don’t be too hard on him. The inconsistency in officiating that has defined the NHL postseason needs to be addressed, and it might just take someone as highly regarded as Doan to get the commissioner’s attention.

Except he’s not highly-regarded anymore. He’s a laughing-stock.

This is what you need to know about Doan’s unleashing after a 4-3 overtime loss to the Los Angeles Kings in Game 5.

He repeatedly said he didn’t want to take anything away from the Los Angeles Kings. He repeatedly said he knows the officials are working hard and trying their best. It’s important not to take it out of context.

Right. And the context is, he knows he has to say something about how the Kings played well and deserved something or other. I missed the part where he said the officials were trying their best. I only heard him say that the calls against him were sheer madness, inexplicable, and — did he not say the league has it in for them?

But it’s also important to note if someone like Doan, who doesn’t like to rock the boat, has issues, it’s worth exploring.

Who says he doesn’t like to rock the boat? I mean, seriously, what has he had to rock the boat about before?

Doan’s diatribe came on the heels of coach Dave Tippett recently lamenting his concerns about of the direction of the game, including the excessive theatrics by players — flopping — that seem to sway officials.

“You tell me where my penalties were these last three games,” Doan said. “You tell me.”

Doan was called for one penalty Tuesday, a game misconduct called after the game was over.

I would love to get a lip reader to tell us what he said to Brown in the handshake line.

14 comments for “Doan got a game misconduct last night

1. Sam
    May 23, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I have to think the first game against the Yotes next year is going to be interesting.

2. m_and_m
    May 23, 2012 at 2:24 PM

“Except he’s not highly-regarded anymore. He’s a laughing-stock.”

Strongly disagree.  I think Doan is a hell of a hockey player, he has tormented the Kings for years and I would love to have him on our team.  And nothing he did or said during the series changes my opinion.

• DougS
      May 23, 2012 at 2:49 PM

From Sutter’s press conference call today, per Hammond:

“You leave it at that. Shane Doan is an awesome player and an awesome captain, and I wish he was still playing, but just not at our expense.”

I wonder if a way to square the circle is to recall something that one of the Kings scouts said (It think it was Futa), and which Quisp highlighted a while ago, to wit: The qualities that make you a good. effective hockey player are not necessarily the same qualities that make you an upstanding citizen.

• May 23, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Well, you can choose your own phrase to replace “laughing stock.” His behavior is ridiculous and embarrassing. He WILL be remembered for this absurd melt-down. And — just my own opinion — I will not be rooting for him in the future. In the unlikely event that he finds himself on the Kings in the future, this will not change.

3. May 23, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Yeah, I saw the score sheet right after the game ended that both Doan and Smith got 10 minute unsportsman like misconducts after Penner won the game. The goons probably were threating the refs along with obviously cursing their moronic heads off. They have spent too much time in the desert sun are seeing mirages and perhaps that’s caused their crazy conspiracy theories.  Are they going to be birthers and truthers next?

May 23, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I thought it was hilarious after the game when commentators were declaring Tippett to be classy and a guy who himself never complains about officiating. I shit you not, someone said that. This is the same Dave Tippett who after Game 3 bemoaned the dishonest state of the game, basically saying the Kings were cheating and that the league was complicit in their attempts to steal this trip to the Finals from the more deserving and upstanding Coyotes.

• USHA#17
      May 23, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Tippitt got caught up in the Doan “I deserve it because I deserve it” mentality.

5. USHA#17
    May 23, 2012 at 7:07 PM

First, Tippet got the refs attention.  They called nothing that happened to Brown, including a trip on a two on one.  Basically the officials put a target on Brown’s back.

Second, Phoenix does not deserve a hockey team.  I can not recall ever seeing fans pelt winning player with trash.   Pull them out and let the fans whine.  Sent them back to Winn…ops, Hartf…opps, Quebec City.

• GShuchuk99
      May 23, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Boston fans did the same thing to montreal after they lost game 7.  Not cool.  I hope they keep their team though… having a team in the division that’s only an hour flight from LA is crucial.

• May 24, 2012 at 7:48 AM

What’s worse is that if they DO move, the NHL can’t realign at this late stage.

Meaning the Pacific teams would be stuck playing three games / year in Quebec City (or wherever).  Just ask everyone in the Southeast how much they enjoyed trekking out to Winnipeg all of last season.

Even if they did realign, it’d be messy and wouldn’t work with the current five-team division format.  Jets -> Northwest, Colorado -> Pacific, Phoenix – > Northeast, Boston -> Atlantic, and then… you’re kinda screwed. No one wants to move from the Atlantic to the Southeast since the teams are so co-dependent.  Philly needs the Pens, and the Devils / Rangers / Isles all need each other. You’d have to bump Boston, ludicrously, into the Southeast and hope to pay off the Bruins.

• May 24, 2012 at 11:54 AM

What makes you think they can’t realign for next season? I’m not saying you’re wrong, but my assumption has been that they will in fact implement a version of what was proposed by the league a year ago, only it will be a part of the cba negotiation.

• May 24, 2012 at 7:38 AM

“Even the heated Toronto series (which was way more contested then
      anything Phoenix showed) did not feature anything other then heated but
      good natured team support on the part of both sides”

Trust someone who was there: if it wasn’t for the canopy over the visitor’s entrance (which was introduced that spring after the Detroit series got so heated), the Kings would’ve been pelted.

6. Yzguy
    May 23, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Doan has a slight speech impediment…it would be really hard to read his lips.

7. May 24, 2012 at 10:54 PM

I’m sorry, did Dave Tippett write this article for USA Today?