Great Helene Elliott article in the Times

I’d say “read the whole thing” but you probably already have. My favorite part:

Kings don't have much postseason tradition – latimes.com

After acquiring elite center Mike Richards from Philadelphia last summer, Lombardi acknowledged he couldn’t provide Richards a winning tradition. He told Richards, "But there is something about being first. So you can follow Bobby Clarke in Philadelphia, as everybody had you doing, or you can be Bobby Clarke in L.A. and be the first to establish something."

7 comments for “Great Helene Elliott article in the Times

1. May 5, 2012 at 10:29 PM

I love that the kings are playing so well. But what i cannot stand is that they are getting hyped as the team that is going to the cup and, “who is going to stop them.” As a kings fan this makes me soooo nervous, I remember 93 it was my introduction to hockey, I asked my parents for skating lessons because of it. But i am soooo weary. How does one stay in the moment and buy into the hype and get ahead of ourselves. Phoenix is a dangerous team, the teams in the east haven’t had to travel nearly as much as we have, I believe but only as far as the next game.

GO KINGS GO! I will be at the game tomorrow it will be glorious!

• May 5, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I agree with everything you say. Tomorrow’s post will be on this very topic. I think the answer is that one has to enjoy all the little victories fully, while not mistaking them for bigger ones that may or may not come. Hey, that’s not bad. I’ll have to quote myself.

• OneTimer
        May 6, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Precisely … well said Quisp.

The same success and good, solid play that is winning games – and leads you to foster some belief that “It” … could happen, is the very same dangerous belief that must be COMPLETELY and wholly ignored – just taking it one period of one game at a time. It’s a difficult task.

• USHA#17
        May 6, 2012 at 9:46 AM

In 93 it was hard to accept the Kings in the finals after they put Toronto away.  Given the years of frustration it just couldn’t be true.

Only when they took the 1st game did it become real for me.  The payoff on years invested.  As far as hype however, I’ll remind readers that Montreal won the next four.

So yes, enjoy each moment.

2. USHA#17
    May 6, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I was pleased that Helene also offered a nice quote from Mike Donnelly (who, IMO along side Cory Millen was a big part of the Kings success in the 93 run):

“”Mike Donnelly…(also) finds similarities to 1993 in the hero-every-game pattern.  “You can see our group of guys bonding together. I can see it, the way they are competing,” ” — Elliott, LA Times

Three months ago I took solace in the very point Miller made when quoted in this article, the Kings were very average going into the playoffs in 93.  Two months ago I broke and predicted failure and was ready to stop watching.  But like a car wreck I just couldn’t look away.

I thank the fates for my morbid curiosity.

• okto
      May 6, 2012 at 7:50 PM

i remember gretzky asking a reporter (just recently) who scored the most even strength goals for the kings in 93. gretz told the reporter it was donnelly.

3. Matt George
    May 7, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Very similar to Steve Spurrier’s comments at South Carolina … “You can go to those other schools and be part of history, or you can come here and make history.”