The Kings, by contrast, had 11 players they had either drafted or signed as undrafted free agents in their lineup – goalies Jonathan Quick and Jonathan Bernier, defensemen Drew Doughty, Slava Voynov and Alec Martinez and forwards Anze Kopitar, Dustin Brown, Kyle Clifford, Trevor Lewis, Jordan Nolan and Dwight King.
And every one of them, with the exception of Doughty and Kopitar, has spent significant time developing in the American League.
None of the eleven players mentioned were undrafted UFA signings, although Lombardi has gone that route several times, most notably with Matt Moulson and Teddy Purcell (since departed), Martin Jones, Kevin Westgarth and Davis Drewiske.
Here’s how the current Kings got here, in order of arrival:
- Dustin Brown (2003 draft)
- Scott Parse (2004 draft)
- Anze Kopitar (2005 draft)
- Jonathan Quick (2005 draft)
- Jonathan Bernier (2006 draft)
- Trevor Lewis (2006 draft pick acquired in trade: Pavol Demitra*)
- Davis Drewiske (2007 undrafted UFA)
- Kevin Westgarth (2007 undrafted UFA)
- Alec Martinez (2007 draft)
- Dwight King (2007 draft)
- Jarret Stoll (2008 trade: Lubomir Visnovsky)
- Matt Greene (2008 trade: Lubomir Visnovsky)
- Brad Richardson (2008 trade: 2nd round pick to Colorado)
- Drew Doughty (2008 draft)
- Slava Voynov (2008 draft)
- Andrei Loktionov (2008 draft)
- Justin Williams (2009 trade: Patrick O’Sullivan*)
- Kyle Clifford (2009 draft)
- Jordan Nolan (2009 draft)
- Rob Scuderi (2009 UFA)
- Willie Mitchell (2010 UFA)
- Dustin Penner (2011 trade: Colten Teubert)
- Mike Richards (2011 trade: Brayden Schenn, Wayne Simmonds**)
- Colin Fraser (2011 trade: Ryan Smyth***)
- Simon Gagne (2011 UFA)
- Jeff Carter (2012 trade: Jack Johnson****)
*In 2006, Lombardi had traded Pavol Demitra to Minnesota for their 17th over-all pick (used to select Lewis) and the rights to Patrick O’Sullivan.
**In 2006, Lombardi had traded Brent Sopel to Vancouver for the 2nd round pick that he used to select Wayne Simmonds.
***In 2009, Lombardi had traded albatross Tom Preissing (previously signed as a UFA) and Kyle Quincey (previously picked up on waivers from Detroit) for Ryan Smyth.
****In 2006, Lombardi had traded Tim Gleason and Eric Belanger to Carolina for the rights to Jack Johnson.