Kings Take Game One, 4-2 (post-game bullets)

• Remember when Dwight King came up for his cup of coffee last season and everyone mocked him, the Kings, Lombardi and Terry Murray because the Kings were so lame that Dwight King was the best they could do on the first line?
  • Didn’t we hear some of that again when King and Jordan Nolan were recalled this spring, as if those two chuckleheads were going to stop our scoring troubles?
  • I seem to recall many people dismissing Colin Fraser as a useless piece of flotsam when he came here in the Smyth deal. Our fourth line is awesome. Even without Kyle Clifford.
  • I wonder if Ryan Smyth is mad that his wife made him move back to Edmonton?
  • Funny that Quick’s Cloutier moment didn’t seem to upset anyone.
  • I even liked Quick’s comment that he “wouldn’t have played it differently” given the chance. I mean, that’s objectively insane, but I find his confidence calming. I note the distinct absence of the Jon Quick deer in the headlights look from years past.
  • I liked Brian Engblom’s sarcastic, “Yeah in those scrums you often see guys get accidentally cross-checked in the throat.” That’s my paraphrase, but it was something close to that. He was responding to whichever dumbass saying that Doan was shoved from behind, somehow mitigating the cross-check to Mitchell’s adam’s apple.
  • I forgot to mention, I think Jason Labarbera’s little victory dance is stupid. I’m referring to last series. He didn’t do it tonight. That would be really stupid.
  • Does that fact that Penner is playing so well in the playoffs let me off the hook for predicting he would score 30-40 goals in the regular season?
  • Oh. Nice pass by Voynov. Nice shot by Brown.
  • Six wins in a row. 9-1 in the playoffs. But the most surreal sensation is the one that comes from almost never being behind at any point in any of these games. I’m just not used to being not behind.
  • I keep thinking about W. P. Kinsella’s short-story, “The Last Pennant Before Armageddon.”
  • In that story, the Cubs are on a historic hot streak, and are about to win the World Series, and their manager is having a recurring nightmare that the Cubs win it all and then the world blows up. He believes it’s a premonition. And he has to decide whether he should throw the series to save the world, or win it all and let the world explode.
  • And that, in turn reminds me of a discussion a few years ago on Hammond’s site, in which some commenters revealed that they (seriously) believed the world was going to end in 2012. I said something like “we’ll no wonder you’re so impatient re Lombardi’s five year plan!”
  • I wonder what the end-timer contingent thinks now.

18 comments for “Kings Take Game One, 4-2 (post-game bullets)

1. Niesy
    May 14, 2012 at 5:36 AM

King and Nolan on the 3rd and 4th lines = a good thing. King and Nolan as the top 6 left wings, as they were for a time, not so much. At least right now.

• May 14, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Agreed, of course. But there was, if memory serves, a general sentiment that the idea of Dwight King as an offensive threat or a finisher or anything like that was absurd. I just accidentally typed asburd. I wish that were a word, asburd.

I think a third and fourth line pool made up entirely of Clifford/Nolan/Kings and Loktionov/Lewis/Moller/Toffolis, plus fraser, is kind of ideal. Of course, that is nine guys.

• okto
        May 14, 2012 at 3:38 PM

except that the size of nolan and king really is making a difference in the playoffs. and i’ve never been one of a fan of big, slow-er, players.

i love those little european kids that we had hanging around, but they just weren’t fleet of foot enough to withstand the regular season. i think they’d get killed in the playoffs.

richardson is doing ok, but he seems quicker than lokti or oscar. or at least he knows how to survive more better.

i also think that nolan and king are faster than many realize and the kings forecheck is well structured, with moderate speed, good gap control from d and high third, and they are physically wearing.

the idea that lokti would knock anyone around is asburd.

• DougS
        May 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM

There was a general dismissal of the idea that King would ever amount to anything at the NHL level. He didn’t impress at all, admittedly, but at the time I was willing to reserve judgment.

This just speaks to the value of being patient with young players. I recall a lot of folks were willing to give up on him all together.

2. May 14, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Key to this game was simple: our first line destroyed their first line, to the point where Tippett had to change his matchup in the 2nd.  But no other Yotes line can contain the 1st line, so no matter what he does he’s kinda stuck.

Voynov making that pass was a good moment.  He’d had a pretty bad game to that point.

3. Sam
    May 14, 2012 at 8:09 AM

This entire run is surreal.

• Matt George
      May 15, 2012 at 1:24 PM

agreed ..

it would be one thing if they were on this kind of tear at any point this season … of course you’ll get no complaints .. just … surreality

4. sstephen17
    May 14, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Kings haven’t trailed in a series, even though they’ve started on the road in all three rounds so far.  Mentally, that has to be a big edge.

5. Uni
    May 14, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Didn’t catch the Cloutier comment – what was it?

• May 14, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Moment, not comment. I checked to make sure I didn’t mistype it.

6. uvgt2bkdnme
    May 14, 2012 at 11:41 AM

“And he has to decide whether he should throw the series to save the world, or win it all and let the world explode.”

i’ll ponder that question when it has even the slightest possibility of happening.

we all know the Cubs will never win the World Series again.

• m_and_m
      May 14, 2012 at 3:26 PM

That one is a slam dunk.  After following the Kings for 39 years and living through McSorley’s stick, the George Maguire era and the collapse of the Bruce McNall empire, I’ll take armageddon for the cup any day.

7. May 14, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Yeah, that Engblom comment…  I heard that and didn’t think they could possibly be laughing about someone getting checked in the throat, then I remembered that they are all idiots.

8. okto
    May 14, 2012 at 1:30 PM

i miss hayward.

engblom is a shill. and a parrot.

May 14, 2012 at 2:11 PM

“I wonder if Ryan Smyth is mad that his wife made him move back to Edmonton?”

I was thinking earlier today, “boy Ryan Smyth must feel pretty stupid about now.”

May 14, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Did you ever watch The Simpsons back when it was funny? If so, you may recall an episode where Homer became a hobo boxer because he
    could take a punch like nobody’s business so he’d let the hobos punch
    him over and over until they got tired and then he would
    opportunistically land one punch and knock them out. The Coyotes remind
    me of Homer the hobo boxer. Against the junkyard hobos from Chicago and
    Nashville, they could sit back, trust that their goalie would make all
    the key saves (take a lot of heavy punches) and then score when they got
    an opportunity (not always, but enough to land knockout punches to
    weary teams that were frustrated by their inability to score).

The
    problem for Homer was that he ran into the heavyweight champ and his
    strategy wouldn’t work anymore. The champ didn’t get tired. He just kept
    wailing on Homer until he beat him to a bloody pulp. I think the Kings
    are the champ. They aren’t going to get tired of having chances and not
    scoring. They will just keep at it. Hell, they went an entire season
    where they couldn’t score against anybody. And did they ever give up? Nope. And it’s
    gotten them this far.

• May 14, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Does that mean Dean Lombardi is Lucius Sweet?

• DougS
        May 15, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Dean has the gab, but he still needs to work on the hair.

I find myself moving back and forth between ecstatic faith and fearful skepticism. I’m not surprised that the Kings have gotten this far, but I’m stunned that it has been this easy. It’s not just surreal, it’s unreal. As Kings fans, we’ve very much through the Looking Glass here.