Lombardi was never going to offer Parise anywhere near $7.54MM AAV

If the “reports” are true, and Zach Parise and Ryan Suter have each signed 13 year $98 million deals with the Minnesota Wild, then, well, more power to them. The Wild ought to be pretty good. I look forward to watching them.

Ninety-eight divided by thirteen is 7.54. There’s simply no way the Kings would ever make Zach Parise the highest paid King. And, what, give Dustin Brown $9MM in two years? $10MM? Please.

Meanwhile, I’ll have to dig up my old posts in which I was raked over the coals for suggesting that the Devils would have a hard time retaining Parise after signing Kovalchuk.

7 comments for “Lombardi was never going to offer Parise anywhere near $7.54MM AAV

July 4, 2012 at 11:17 AM

While their window has probably closed for a while now, I think they ended up with the better player. I honestly don’t think Parise was gonna stay anyway, so they’re lucky to still have Kovy. Actually I would argue that Brodeur re-signing probably had as much to do with Parise moving on as having Kovalchuk on board. His cap hit is bigger than it should be at this stage of his career.

2. m_and_m
    July 4, 2012 at 2:53 PM

According to Cap Geek, the Wild have less than 3 mil available in cap space with 21 players signed and a blue chip RFA, Justin Faulk, still unsigned. So why doesn’t someone, us for instance, put a 4 or 5 mil offer sheet on Faulk?

• DougS
      July 4, 2012 at 3:03 PM

*If* the rumors turn out to be true, we shall see if some one tries to poach Faulk, or at least use the threat to force a trade for his rights.

No doubt, these two signings would make the Wild a better team, but I’m not sure it makes them a serious contender. As you say, it leaves them precious little room under the cap, which means almost no margin in terms of adding depth.

• July 4, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Teams can go over the cap by 10% in the summer, which is an extra $7MM to play with. (Lombardi doesn’t do offer sheets anyway. And even if he did, keep in mind that we have Clifford, Lewis, Nolan, Voynov, Martinez and Bernier as RFAs a year from now. We’re the last team that needs to be making GM enemies. GMemies? Giamenemies.

• m_and_m
        July 5, 2012 at 7:19 PM

I get it, GM’s basically don’t do offer sheets, and how that’s not collusion is beyond me. But hey, why not start?

3. m_and_m
    July 4, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Looking at Cap Geek, I see that Minnesota now is less than 3 mil under the cap with 21 players signed and a blue chip RFA, Justin Faulk, still unsigned. Why doesn’t someone, like us for instance, put a 4 or 5 mil offer sheet on Faulk?

4. m_and_m
    July 4, 2012 at 3:08 PM

According to Elliot Freedman, the structure of the two salaries has both men making 12 mil for the next two years so the Wild would seem to be even more vulnerable to an offer sheet on Faulk.