LAK 3, VAN 2 (SO) – Post-Game Bullets

• With the win, the Kings climb up to .500 and grab 8th place in the official standings, or 7th in my idiosyncratic points-blown standings, which now have their own page.
  • 5th through 12th place are separated by 2 points.
  • It feels weird that the Kings only have 2 more games with each of VAN, CHI, EDM and COL.
  • Dustin Penner was scratched for the third consecutive game.
  • Dustin Brown and Mike Richards, Penner’s line-mates, have plus-minus/60s of -4.7 and -4.8 respectively.
  • Besides Penner, that’s lowest on the team. But I guess those guys are scratch-proof.
  • The reason for this stellar +/- is that Brown and Richards have only been on the ice for 1 goal-for 5-on-5.
  • They’ve been on the ice for 6 (Brown) and 5 (Richards) goals-against, respectively. Out of a total of 10 5-on-5 goals-against for the team.
  • Doughty and Scuderi lead the team with 7 goals-against.
  • Kyle Clifford’s point streak ends at 4 games. I assume that’s a career high.
  • I think I would put Clifford back with Fraser and Nolan, and Gagne with Richards and Brown. If only to allow Clifford to keep his point-dominance going. Insert smiley face.

10 comments for “LAK 3, VAN 2 (SO) – Post-Game Bullets

1. Kings of Hockeywood
    January 29, 2013 at 11:43 AM

As to Brown’s scratch-proof-ness, I think it’s always existed. I remember back under Terry Murray he and Frolov were like exact opposites in that regard. Brown would try to single-handedly go through four players, inevitably lose the puck, and a goal would be scored against the Kings and he’d still be out there for his next shift. Frolov would miss coverage on a play where someone else had lost the puck, leading to an outnumbered attack the other way and he wouldn’t see the ice again for a couple of games. That always irritated me.

• January 29, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I have always assumed that Brown’s scratch-proof coating had to do with his early earmarking as The Team Captain.

• Kings of Hockeywood
        January 29, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I would think as captain, he should be held to an even higher standard. But I guess that’s just me.

• January 29, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Yes, but he was groomed from a fairly early age. Which means that he was cut some slack to account for the fact that he was learning on the job. The captainship is also a symbolic role, which means that if you undercut his standing with the rest of the team, you may be undercutting your true purpose in making him captain.

Even now, I suspect that Sutter is saving that as his last-ditch measure, because if you do something that dramatic and it doesn’t succeed in turning the team around… what else you gonna do?

• Kings of Hockeywood
            January 29, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I suppose that’s fair in the period since he became captain, but I feel like the preferential treatment for Brown goes back to well before he was captain, back to the Crawford era. There has long been a feeling that Brown can do no wrong. When he is on his game that may well be true, but he has more down periods than pretty much any of the other top 6 guys (well, maybe not Richards so far).

• USHA#17
              January 29, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Gotta sell what you have. Wasn’t much to thate team beside Brown, Frolov, POS and Cammalleri (and Willsie!). From day one marketing had always floated Brown to the top.

• USHA#17
            January 29, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Brown is kinda interesting. There is typical Brown whose play is just above the average player. Middle Ground Brown who tries to step up a level only to fall short and become Charlie Brown (can’t find pucks, ridiculous plays). Then Brown will exit Charlie level and become Captain Brown who elevates his play to a very high level and competes like a super star.

2. January 29, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I noticed that Gagne got some power play time with Richards and Carter, so i wouldn’t be surprised if he and Clifford swap places soon. Cliffy’s promotion was nice as symbolism, but in all seriousness I agree that he will be more visible and more effective back in the bottom 6.

• USHA#17
      January 29, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Think your right. Clifford (and King) give the Kings that type of bottom puck retrieval, possession and scoring threat that makes the Kings so dangerous and turned the team around over the past 40 or so games.

A nice surprise is Muzzin. Steady and not a lot of errors. He could be an answer to any cap problems which may arise next season.