Bernier for Iginla? No, but what about this…

Kings Trade Rumor of the Day: Bernier for Iginla? – Jewels From The Crown

What do you think? Are you interested in Iginla, or would you rather trade for a defenseman? What do you think Lombardi would or should offer if he becomes available?

Trading Jonathan Bernier doesn’t seem like an especially good idea for the Kings, and I’m not sure if trading Iginla for Bernier makes sense for the Flames. For the sake of argument though, what about:

Jay Bouwmeester, Sven Baertschi and Calgary’s first round pick in 2013 for…

Jonathan Quick?

Think about it. With Bouwmeester, the Kings’ shot at a repeat would rise considerably, and in the draft we’d have a shot at this guy:

10 comments for “Bernier for Iginla? No, but what about this…

1. LBlocal
    March 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Scandalous, how dare you! My 2c. This topic, #32 or #45 has been debated ad nauseum, and will continue until the final puck drops on one. I’ve got a different proposal: To LAK: D-L.Visnovsky, G-E.Nabakov, F-N.Niederreiter. To NYI: G-J.Quick, D-A.Martinez (PR) F-O.Moller. Of course, a lottery pick and J Drouin does sound appealing. gKg!

• March 15, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Kings don’t want or need either of Visnovsky or Nabokov.

• LBlocal
        March 15, 2013 at 7:59 PM

El Nino is the key piece in my prop. But you’ve already dismissed so we move on. gKg!

• March 15, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I don’t know that much about him.

2. March 15, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Flames would never do that.

3. USHA#17
    March 16, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I knew it. A traditionalist longing for the good old days of Kings’ Trades; A player on his way to the top for a player on the road to the bottom.

4. m_and_m
    March 16, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I like it. We’re starting to see why Bernier was a first round pick and Quick a third. Bernier’s technique will eventually trump Quicks athleticism.

5. Kings of Hockeywood
    March 16, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I guess I’m ahead of the curve because I was talking about this very subject last week on my blog when the Flames were in LA for back-to-back games (http://kingsofhockeywood.blogspot.com/2013/03/since-flames-are-in-town.html). I suggested Martinez/Ellerby (totally acknowledging the Flames were unlikely to take Ellerby), one of Pearson/Vey/Kozun, and the Kings 2nd round pick in 2014 (1st round if they win the Cup with Iginla).

I think the thing people who are shunning the notion of acquiring Iginla are forgetting is that Penner is almost definitely gone next season and that’s a lot of size leaving the Kings. There is no prospect in the system that I can think of who is even close to NHL-ready to replace him. Iginla would be a perfect replacement as the 2nd line RW to play with Richards and Carter as a power forward who can work down low and in front of the net to create scoring opportunities. And while people often complain about Penner’s efforts (or lack thereof), I don’t think you’d ever hear a gripe about Iginla, so even though he’d be a bit more expensive, you are getting a lot more value for your money.

And don’t forget too, even though he’s 35, Iginla is still in the top 10% of the NHL in offensive performance and doesn’t really show signs of declining at such a precipitous rate that he won’t be valuable for another 2-3 seasons.

6. Kings of Hockeywood
    March 16, 2013 at 3:25 PM

As for trading Quick, the thing I ask myself is, do you wanna see him 5 times a year in a division rival’s crease? Me neither.

Unfortunately, the same goes for Bernier…

I guess this is what happens when you have goaltending depth for the first time in franchise history!

• Kings of Hockeywood
      March 16, 2013 at 3:28 PM

It might be worth having two starting goalies in today’s NHL though. There are more goalies out there capable of being starters than there are teams in the NHL, and at some point some team is going to realize that even though they can’t both play every night, it makes sense to have guys share the crease in case of injury or simple lackluster play from the #1 guy for a stretch. I think right now we’re seeing it with the Kings and Canucks, neither of whom wants to part with either of their goalies.