Iginla approves Kings as trade destination…and? So?

Report: Iginla submits list of four teams he’d OK trade to | ProHockeyTalk

The race to acquire Jarome Iginla at the trade deadline is about to get really hot.

Renaud Lavoie of RDS reports [...] the Flames captain has submitted a list of four teams he’d approve a trade to. Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Pittsburgh are his desired locations and it appears he’s very serious about winning the Stanley Cup this year.

[...]

Pittsburgh has plenty of defensive prospects to put into an offer. Chicago is stocked with depth at forward while L.A. has a balance at both positions as well as goaltender Jonathan Bernier [...].

I don’t even know where Jarome Iginla is supposed to fit on the Kings. Third line center? And for that, a rental, we’re supposed to give up — what — our best goalie this season? That would be stupid. A top prospect? Not Tyler Toffoli. A top-four defenseman? That’s not going to happen; we’re thin enough as it is.

Seriously, what is the offer “too good to refuse” for Lombardi? Hey, I’ve got it, and I’m serious, too:

Linden Vey (Western Canada), Martin Jones (former Calgary Hitman), Brandon Kozun (former Hitman), and two conditional picks, 1st round picks in 2014 and 2015, the condition being that if the Kings don’t win the cup, the Flames get no picks. Or the rights to Bud Holloway. Their choice.

13 comments for “Iginla approves Kings as trade destination…and? So?

1. Kings of Hockeywood
    March 24, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Martinez/Forbort/Deslauriers, Kozun/Pearson/Vey, 2nd round pick that becomes two firsts if the Kings win the Cup this season

• Kings of Hockeywood
      March 24, 2013 at 12:15 PM

The slashes indicate one of the players in that set, by the way.

• Kings of Hockeywood
        March 24, 2013 at 12:26 PM

And it’s not any of the 3 in each set; they have to balance each other. So if the Flames wanted Forbort, the top defensive prospect in the system not on the team yet, they can’t also have Pearson, for instance. But I’d give up Forbort and Kozun to get Iginla. No chance I’m giving up Bernier though.

2. rudykelly
    March 24, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Bouwemeester or bust

3. Nut
    March 24, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I’ve been trying to think of where he’d fit too, since it would be dumb to have basically another Dustin Brown on the first line. The best I’ve come up with is a Richards-Carter-Iginla 2nd line.

• Kings of Hockeywood
      March 24, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Iginla-Kopitar-Williams
      Carter-Richards-Penner
      Brown-Stoll-Toffoli
      King-Clifford-Lewis

Nolan and Fraser can both sit

• March 24, 2013 at 6:20 PM

You’re killing Toffoli. How about:

Brown – Kopitar – Williams

Richards – Carter – Toffoli

King – Stoll – Lewis

Clifford – Iginla – Nolan

…because, really, that’s what it comes down to. Iginla really would be replacing Fraser as 4C. Or maybe we would just finally all admit that Stoll really is 4C and call it a day (same lines, different numbers).

• Kings of Hockeywood
          March 25, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Well I certainly don’t want to kill Toffoli. But I’m still giving him better ice time than Sutter! And my lines assume that Penner leaves this summer and Toffoli moves up at least one line. I think for a rookie to be on the 3rd line with the talent ahead of him, he’s doing all right.

4. March 24, 2013 at 10:42 PM

speaking of Holloway, how have our rights to him changed since he went to the SEL? How many more years do we have his rights? Is it possible for him to go UFA without signing a contract with us again?

5. March 24, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I wouldn’t even give up Vey for Iginla, as he seems to rank not too far below Toffoli as a prospect. Kozun, Jones and a non-conditional pick, I can see. NO way Bernier is dealt this season, as he is too valuable to the Kings where he is, and Jones and Berube aren’t exactly pushing him.

As much as I like Iginla (for the funkiness of spelling his first name with an “a” if nothing else), I don’t see where he fits in, either. If Quisp is right, how much can you justify giving up for a bottom-6 C for the stretch run, even if it’s Jarome Iginla?

I do not doubt this story, in that I have no reason to disbelieve that Iginla has pre-approved a trade to those four teams. But the rest of it is obviously speculation by a reporter.

6. JB
    March 26, 2013 at 4:37 PM

How can you not figure out a way to fit Iginla into the roster? You really think he couldn’t fit on the wing of any of our top 3 lines. Everything I’ve read is the asking price is a couple prospects at least one of those a “top” one, and not a roster player. I guess Toffoli is still technically a prospect so that would be either him, Vey or Jones. Then maybe a conditional pick given Iggy is a rental based on whether we can resign him in the summer.
    Not saying I’d make the deal but it really isn’t all that unimaginable. I’d still prefer to get bigger on back end and so we’re not relying on Martinez and Ellerby so much.

• March 26, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Feaster apparently is asking for Bernier, and he is asking for similarly valuable assets elsewhere. I forget who said it (LeBrun?) but the quote was more or less “Bernier and a 1st would get it done.”

The Kings don’t even have the cap room to re-sign Iginla without getting rid of players they don’t want to get rid of. Everyone agrees I think that Iginla is valuable. The question is…at what price?

The Kings need Bernier. And the future Kings need Toffoli. As far as picks, we already don’t have a first this year, it’s dangerous to opt out of high draft picks for too many years in a row. The result is the Kings in the mid-to-late 90s.

• JB
        March 26, 2013 at 10:46 PM

No way a rental for a potential #1 Goalie even happens! We may be dumb but not Columbus dumb! I saw LeBrun say it was a 1st round pick and two prospects for Iggy. Calgary doesn’t need any roster players. And they’ve got Kipper through next year. If they want to make a goalie swap that’s probably an offseason deal. This late in season playoff teams are looking to strengthen the backup goalie spot not bring in a new #1 guy.

I say it doesn’t happen. Again I’m hoping for some improvement on the back end. This way we can resign Voynov, Muzzin and Clifford in the summer and keep options open with Scuds.