2001 v DET, 2013 v STL — Kings come back from 0-2 to win in 6

For the second time in franchise history, the Kings came back from an 0-2 series deficit to win in six. For the second time in a calendar year, Dustin Penner scored a series-clinching goal that no Kings fan will forget. The Kings extend their consecutive playoff series winning streak to five. Jonathan Quick stole 99.9% of game one, and then gave it back — call it a wash. His playoff performance last year has earned him a few coupons anyway. Justin Williams single-handedly (well, not really, but superlatively in any case) with a tip and a diving poke check, kept the Kings from going down an almost certainly insurmountable 0-3 in the series. Jeff Carter scored very timely Carter-esque goals (would it be weird to retire a Scott Howson jersey at Staples? Probably, yeah.) Dustin Brown drilled his own head into the post on a breakaway. Jake Muzzin played like a veteran. Robyn Regehr made me nervous but was still big and mean — you know what, he is kind of Matt Greene Jr.. Trevor Lewis was a tenacious, speedy fore-checking back-checking machine. Tyler Toffoli took some shots and studied Jeff Carter. The Blues were a really, really good team and now they’re done. The didn’t have a shot on goal in the last almost five minutes of the game. Darryl Sutter said Dustin Penner “just matched his regular season.” No kidding. Next up, it’s the Sharks or the Ducks. T.H.E.D.U.C.K.S. Sweet fancy Moses.

8 comments for “2001 v DET, 2013 v STL — Kings come back from 0-2 to win in 6

1. May 10, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Ha ha, poor Scott Howson. I wonder if Lombardi is going to acquire a rep like Jerry West with the Lakers, that you don’t dare trade with him because you know you’re going to get screwed.

Isn’t Greene younger than Regehr? So Greene should be Regehr Jr.? But, yeah. For all the angst at JftC over acquiring Regehr, it occurred to me that one could say the same things about Greene.

I wonder if Toffoli’s performance over the last two games has made the idea of putting him on the 4th line and spotting him a top-6 shift seem like a more acceptable option for next season.

• May 10, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Yeah, I meant low-rent Greene. Jr as in not-as-good.

• May 12, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Kings would have to be gotdamn retarded to have him in the lineup full time next year.

2. Kings of Hockeywood
    May 11, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Would you have believed me if I’d told you the Kings could win a playoff series in which Anze Kopitar scored only one goal and was mostly a non-factor?

• May 11, 2013 at 10:18 AM

No, I wouldn’t have. However, Kopitar has been in the defensive/stopper role all season, at least in terms of getting the toughest matchups, per QUALCOMP and all that.

• May 11, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I’m waffling between the “Kopi is secretly hurt” (like Kesler hiding a torn labrum last year) theory and accepting that getting matched against Backes really is that much of a pain in the ass.

• Kings of Hockeywood
          May 11, 2013 at 9:39 PM

I thought about both of those options too, but ultimately I think it’s just that 30-50 game point in the season where Kopi always slows down and goes through a drought after a great start to the season. Whatever the reason for it, it has happened every year for at least 3 years now, and without looking, it’s possible it’s happened every season he’s been in the NHL. The positive thing is that he always comes out of it very strong, and it does seem like it’s about time for him to heat up!

• May 12, 2013 at 10:48 PM

We took SJ to 6 games two years ago with Jarret Stoll (and Lewis I think for a game) as our #1 center.