My 2 Cents on Bernier for Frattin and Scrivens

• Jonathan Bernier was the first King drafted by Dean Lombardi, with the 11th pick in 2006.
  • I have closely followed Bernier’s career for longer than I have any other current King. Seven years. I was aware of Dustin Brown and Anze Kopitar when drafted, but can’t say I was following closely, not until they arrived in the NHL.
  • The tandem of Bernier and Jonathan Quick, first assembled in Manchester, then split by Quick’s promotion, then reunited in 2011, is now a thing of the past. Having spent several years looking forward to Quick+Bernier in LA, the end of that era makes me sad.
  • We all knew this day would come.
  • The way I see the trade: last year, we had Bernier at G2 and Penner at LW2,3 for $4MM+ cap hit; now we have Scrivens at G2 and Frattin at LW2,3 for $1MM cap hit (factor in the crucial almost $500K Toronto retains from their salaries).
  • With that savings, Lombardi will sign Rob Scuderi.
  • The Kings top nine forwards are Kopitar, Brown, Justin Williams, Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Tyler Toffoli, Frattin, Jarret Stoll and Trevor Lewis.
  • Toffoli/Frattin is better than Dustin Penner/Dwight King in LW2/LW3. By better I mean: faster and more snipery.
  • Snipery is not a word.
  • The result will be more goals. The Kings need more goals.
  • And no room for Dustin Penner. This makes me sad, too. I get it. But it makes me sad. He was a playoff hero for us, and a major cog in the Kings 2012 Cup Machine. Plus he’s hilarious and his playoff beard and transitional moustache were phenomenal.

19 comments for “My 2 Cents on Bernier for Frattin and Scrivens

1. June 23, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Agreed on all counts, although I think you’re a little more optimistic than I am that Scuderi will, in fact, be re-upped. I wanted to keep JB around for another contract, but realistically, it just wasn’t going to happen. Plus, he does deserve a chance to be a good, long career as an NHL #1.

BTW, if Scuderi returns and Mitchell is ready to go, who is made redundant — Greene or Regher? I hope it’s Regher, but who will actually be dealt?

I’m going to miss Penner, too. I think the ongoing dance with Bud Holloway is about this, too — finding a replacement for him that will represent more value/cap hit. At least I’ll always have that pic of him serving me pancakes.

I don’t think he’ll score big on the UFA market, with the cap coming down. Maybe the Kings can trade for him again at the deadline, and bring Playoff Penner back for next year’s run.

• shiny
      June 23, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I hope Regehr winds up the odd man out if Mitchell is healthy enough to play but I don’t think Lombardi putting all his eggs in that basket. And if Mitchie goes down mid-season… Well… Anyway…

If Bud DOES sign, does that mean we can get rid of King? Or King can slot in at LW3 I suppose and Frattin can replace Nolan as RW4 (though what that does for Toffoli, I have no frickin clue)

• Token
        June 24, 2013 at 4:16 PM

If Regehr goes I will cry and mourn over the two 2nd round picks we gave up for him. 2nd rounds picks are pure gold in Dean’s hands.

• Bob Knob
        June 28, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I would rather put King at LW4 and see what Frattin can do on LW2 or 3. King is a big creampuff and would fit great on the 4th line. IMO

2. shiny
    June 23, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I will be very sad to see Dustin Penner go. It doesn’t seem like he’s keen on staying and I don’t blame him. He’s constantly in Sutter’s “chateau de bow wow” and is constantly being called out and can’t seem to find consistency during the regular season in LA.

Plus, Dean Lombardi said that he had a “feeling out” talk with Penner’s agent which does not give me tons of hope.

Any chance we can possibly do something with Fraser? Because if we can replace him with an effective center, holy crap Kings will be amazeballs again!

• June 23, 2013 at 11:29 PM

You’re the second person I’ve read tonight who says that Penner doesn’t want to come back, but I’m not sure where that comes from. A year ago, Penner took less than he could have gotten on the UFA market to stay with a defending Cup champion. I think the main issue is cap space and literally whether or not the Kings can afford him.

If he was determined to leave this summer, there would be no reason at all for his agent to be taking Lombardi’s calls. Just wait for July 5 to turn on the cell phone. And yet there seems to be some form of discussion going on.

• m_and_m
      June 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I’m truly flabbergasted about all the tears about the possible departure of Penner. Yes he was useful in the two playoff runs, but has everyone forgotten that he was signed as a 30+ goal top 6 forward, not as comic relief.

• Drew
      June 28, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Yes, they can DFA him. What else are they gonna do. He was only moved in a trade (Edm>Kings) because we were stuck in a no win situation with Smyth. Otherwise we wouldn’t have traded for him. Especially with the cap, who’s gonna trade for him?

• June 29, 2013 at 5:30 AM

What’s DFA?

• Drew
          June 29, 2013 at 8:30 AM

It doesn’t exist in hockey (really). It does in baseball though. Designated for assignment…. when a player isn’t producing (i.e. Jeff Hamilton for example… though that would be an expensive DFA).

• Bob Knob
            June 30, 2013 at 11:37 PM

So I guess you’re saying bury him in Manch?

3. Abe_Froman
    June 23, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I think this deal provides some bread crumbs to follow regarding the rest of the Kings summer plans.

First, after listening to the conference call today, I believe that Lombardi wants to resign Scuderi. The problem though is that assuming that happens, and assuming Mitchell heals, without any other moves our defense looks like this:

Doughty Mitchell

Scuderi Voynov

Regher Greene

Muzzin

There’s been a lot of speculation that when the Kings signed Regher to that 2 year deal, that it meant Mitchell was going LTIR because of his knee. But Lombardi’s recent comments seem to indicate that there is at least the possibility that Mitchell recovers in time for next year. If that’s true, then Regher becomes our worst defensive defenseman and instantly moves to the third pairing. Maybe Sutter is fine with a bottom pairing of defensive stalwarts Regher and Greene as opposed to the scoring upside of Muzzin and Greene. But Regher makes a lot more than Muzzin, so could a lineup like this even work financially? Hold on, let me go check CapGeek and see if I can make this work…

(5 mins later…)

Well, it might be technically possible, but would require trading some of our RFA’s and convincing others to sign for their qualifying offer and no more. It would also require us giving up on the idea of signing Bud Holloway. I don’t think this is a wise path to follow.

What would make more sense would be to trade Regher, put Muzzin in his place on the third pairing, and use the extra money to retain most of the RFA’s, and sign Holloway to play with Stoll on the 3rd line, while Lewis moves to the 4th line. That lineup would look like this:

Brown Kopitar Williams

Frattin Richards Carter

Holloway Stoll Toffoli

Clifford Lewis King/Pearson

Can King even play on the 4th line? Who knows? But if he can’t, then maybe Pearson can. And if Pearson can’t, the two of them would make nice trade assets to get someone who can. Where’s Fraser you ask? Gone.

Of course, if Toffoli pans out then maybe he and Frattin trade places. But for any of this to work financially, the Kings will have to lose one of their 3mm defensemen (Regher, Scuderi, Mitchell). The rub for Lombardi is that he’s going to have to make this decision before he knows for sure that Mitchell is going to be ready for the season.

So what does Lombardi do? I think he signs Scuderi and kicks the can down the road a little while waiting on Mitchell’s status. If Mitchell is healthy, then Regher gets traded (it would be great if we could get our second round picks back). If Mitchell is not healthy, he goes to LTIR, and Regher stays.

I guess what I’m saying is that I don’t think there is any way that Mitchell and Regher ever see the ice together as Kings, but if these moves pan out the way that I’m hoping they do, we’re going to have a much more effective bottom-six next season.

• Bob Knob
      June 28, 2013 at 8:37 AM

“Can King even play on the 4th line?”

Is this a real question?

• Abe_Froman
        June 28, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Ugh. Poor writing on my part. That should have been, “Can King even play on the right side?” It was late when I wrote it.

• Bob Knob
          June 30, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Yeah that’s a good question. He can hardly receive a pass on his forehand as it is so I’d guess no.

• Drew
      June 28, 2013 at 3:41 PM

The bottom six could hardly be much worse if you look from just an offensive point of view.
      Thing is, if they want to truly compete with Chicago – and my guess there will be at least one more team who will be stronger than last year and deeper, then we can’t just carry on with a bottom six whose job would be only to keep the opposition off of the board.
      It worked in 2012 and they in fact did get the odd goal. Especially the huge Gm 1 first goal in the finals by Fraser. But based on these playoffs, really can’t count on that.
      I felt like St. L and SJ (in a different sense) felt like they had to punish our top six. Punish them they did, and those guys seemed to have run out of gas by the time the Chicago series came around.

4. Maclovio
    June 24, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Totally naming my next band Transitional Mustache.

5. Token
    June 24, 2013 at 9:26 AM

If Kings sign Scuderi, that makes 9 roster defensemen. None of them waiver exempt. I just don’t see how he fits in anymore.

Dean would have to deal one or two D for picks in the next week to make any more signings.

Lets not even mention the Holloway possibility and who would go back to Manchester.

6. m_and_m
    June 25, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I don’t hate the trade, but I’m a little disappointed that Dean did not manage (as yet) to get into the first round this year. I would rank that as a higher priority than a left wing. Left wings are a dime a dozen. The fact that barring a trade, the Kings will have had only a #30 pick in the last three first rounds. I think that is very dangerous long term.

Dean says it’s hard to get a first for a goalie, but I’m wondering if he didn’t at least try to come up with a package for Tampa’s #3 overall. If any team is in dire need of a first class goalie, it’s TB.