Tyler Toffoli can’t play LW, we’ve been told…

…but he’s NHL-ready, and a pure sniper. Oh, and the Kings need goals. The problem is, there’s no room for him. Because the Kings have three top-six centers (Anze Kopitar, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter), one of whom has been converted to RW (Carter). Dustin Brown and Justin Williams are natural RWs. Brown goes left so Carter can play right. And there’s a big hole on LW that is not being adequately filled by Matt Frattin or Dwight King.

I would be shocked if Lombardi moves Richards or Carter. Kopitar and Brown are untouchable. So, doesn’t that mean that one of two things really have to happen:

1. Tyler Toffoli is traded.
  2. Justin Williams is traded.

It would be upsetting to trade Toffoli, but Lombardi has shown a willingness to deal blue-chip prospects and/or fan favorites in order to add a “missing piece” (e.g. Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds for Mike RIchards). If it were me, I would at least try to move Williams for a real top-six LW, and promote Toffoli. But if it were me, we’d still have Andrei Loktionov, and Jarret Stoll would be long gone. I know, I know. I’m probably wrong and you’re probably right. (Although I notice that Stoll is now more or less the 4C I have sometimes said he was.)

6 comments for “Tyler Toffoli can’t play LW, we’ve been told…

1. m_and_m
    October 28, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Yes but the last couple of games they have played Frattin on RIGHT wing with Carter at center and Richards on the left and the line has done well, Richards scoring his first two goals of the season (and having one disallowed) as a left wing. This means that if they so desired, TT could slot in on the right wing on that line (my preference) or play on the 3rd or 4th line as a rw.

2. m_and_m
    October 28, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I think it is more likely Stoll is traded than Williams making room for Linden Vey.

• October 28, 2013 at 9:39 PM

I agree with that, except that I don’t necessarily think that would mean that Vey would be the call-up. You could always shift Lewis back to center to replace Stoll.

I suspect the most likely trade victim is Martinez, or possibly Ellerby for a bag of pucks, with Pearson getting the call-up.

I’m hoping that Regher gets moved to clear out a little cap space and give Martinez a regular spot again, but I suspect that’s highly unlikely.

It would be really cool if a couple of the bottom-six guys got moved and Toffoli-Vey-Pearson got brought up as a unit. But I suppose that’s even less likely than the chance that one of the laws of physics will undergo a sudden, spontaneous reversal tomorrow.

3. November 6, 2013 at 7:13 AM

I think Brown is a right-shooting player but that he prefers Left Wing… Shooting-wise, yes a natural RW but in his own mind I think Brown is a natural LW. So Brown at LW is more based on Brown than on letting Carter play RW. Also, Brown’s time at LW pre-dates Carter’s acquisition.

Losing Justin Williams would be the title of the scariest movie I never want to see.

Sutter seems to love having 7 or 8 centers around. He may even have a Center fetish for all I know. Kopi, Richards, Stoll, Lewis, Carter, Fraser, now Vey (even Jordan Nolan is listed as a center but has never actually taken that position for the Kings) seems to be the correct number of Centers in Sutter’s mind. I like that about Sutter.

• November 10, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Well, Brown played on the right for several years, switched to the left for a few games three or four years ago, went back to the right, and then finally was moved to Koptar’s left side with Williams on the right (I want to say it was) the season before the cup year. You might recall a Brown interview right after the Kings lost to Vancouver in the playoffs four years ago in which he said the Kings need a LW in order to compete, and Lombardi raked him over the coals in the press.

He’s grown up a lot since then, in pretty much every way. Good thing Lombardi didn’t trade him like I wanted him to. :)

• Hat trick
      November 10, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I don’t think Brown is a natural LW. Why? Most guys that play wing on their backhand are danglers. Brown ain’t no dangler. He rarely uses that side to carry in and then cut against the grain. He goes in and then keeps going in when he has room to cut across traffic for a nice lane to shoot through or nice pass.