I’ve decided to go back to individual posts on points-blown, rather than a dedicated page. This way, each post’s standings will be preserved, rather than just disappearing into the ether as the standings are updated (which was a necessary feature of the dedicated page). Also, this way it’s easier to notify people when the standings are updated, so you don’t have to check back for no reason.
I’ve also decided to split off several of the columns into a separate chart (and recurring post) called Points-Against. If it’s missing from the Points-Blown table, that’s where it is.
Points-Blown Standings - 11/28/13
- The Kings have 36 points after 26 games. This is their third best total ever, behind only 1974-75 and 1980-81 (both with 39 points), and tied with 1992-93.
- WPG and ANA have played 27 games. COL and DAL have played 23.
- The top eight teams in the West have projected final point totals ranging from 138 (STL) to 107 (MIN).
- This is unsustainable. Most of these teams (including the Kings) are likely to come back to Earth sooner or later.
- Unless of course the East plans on continuing to suck for the entire season.
- Only 5 official points separate 1st from 8th in the conference.
- But the 1st-to-8th spread in points-blown is almost twice that: 9.
- Mostly, this means that STL is doing even better than their official point total indicates. Damn.
Q vs. NHL
- Points-blown refers to the number of points a team could have earned, but did not. They are points-squandered. You get two PBs for a loss, and one PB for an OT/SOL. The lower your total, the better. Like golf. Or cholesterol. For a longer explanation, follow this link.
- Type CEN in the search window to filter for Central Division only, PAC for Pacific Division only, WC for wild-card race only. Trust me, you want to do this.
- Two of the columns have, as headers, funny little graphics that look like constellations. They are, sort of. If you’re curious, here’s the source.
- W = Western Conference.
- PAC= Pacific Division.
- CEN= Central Division.
- GP= games-played.
- W/L/OTL = wins, losses, over-time and shoot-out losses.
- PTS = points.
- PB = points-blown.
- PRJ = projected final points.
- ROW = regulation plus OT (but not SO) wins. The first tie-breaker.
- +/-3rd = the distance in points-blown above or below the 3rd seed in a team’s respective division.
- +/-WC = the distance in points-blown above or below the last wild-card spot.
- TO 97 = the record needed to get to the presumed (by me) playoff-threshold.
- DELTA = the difference between my standings and the official standings.The official NHL standings are sorted by points, then fewest GP, then ROW, then GD. I sort by points-blown, then most GP, then ROW and GD.