I bet there’s a trade coming

• Lombardi opts not to buy out Mike Richards. People are taking this as a vote of confidence, a nod to loyalty, etc., and maybe it is. But it’s also possible Lombardi is just preserving assets he believes he can deal.
  • This doesn’t necessarily mean Richards is the one he will trade. There are other worthy candidates. I don’t need to name them, but they would need to make more than $3 million a year because of the next bullet point.
  • Marian Gaborik. All of this may come down to whether Lombardi wants to sign Gaborik enough to move salary in order to do it.
  • Lombardi likes draft picks. There are people with poor judgment looking to deal high picks.

16 comments for “I bet there’s a trade coming

1. Sam
    June 23, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Trading Robyn Regher would be a good idea given the weak market for defenseman along with the availability of McNabb. Provided the Kings re-sign both Greene and Mitchell.

• June 23, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Yeah, I don’t think we’ll see all three of Greene, Mitchell and Regehr return. Sounds like Greene is re-signing.

• June 24, 2014 at 11:57 AM

That’s what I’m thinking, too. Last man in is the first man out. Draft coming up at the end of the week, and as Quisp says, there are GMs who can be talked into some weird stuff.

Either that, or Lombardi has given up all hope of re-upping Mitchell.

2. Token
    June 23, 2014 at 11:29 AM

If history serves, Brown looks real good …

3. Throwdeuce
    June 24, 2014 at 7:47 AM

Shocked if there won’t be some type of deal with Richards and Greene’s announcements. While it won’t hurt that much this year, I can;t see the Kings being able to hold onto all these guys once Williams, AMart and Kopi’s deals are up. Would have thought Richards being bought out (or traded) would have helped that.

• June 24, 2014 at 11:59 AM

I think Williams’ contract will be allowed to expire naturally (with obligatory regret, but allowed to expire all the same). Stoll’s is up next summer also, isn’t it? That, too, will be allowed to expire naturally.

• Throwdeuce
        June 24, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Yes, both will be UFA after next season. I would rather have Williams than Richards though.

• June 24, 2014 at 11:09 PM

The key to Lombardi’s statement about not buying out Richards may be the remark about how he needs to improve his off-season conditioning. One may read it as a bit of fatherly tough love. But the fact that Dean said so to Lisa Dillman also makes it a possible justification for trading Richards if his production/performance doesn’t improve next year.

• Throwdeuce
      June 24, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Nevermind, misread

4. June 24, 2014 at 12:00 PM

My bold trade prediction for the summer: In order to make room on the 23-man roster for Vey, Nolan gets sent to Buffalo for a bag of pucks. :-)

5. June 24, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Brown Stoll Richards is one logjam. Regehr Mitchell is another. I think it’s highly unlikely that more than one of those names will still be on the roster in two years.

Vey, Andreoff, Prokhorkin, Zykov and Mersch. McNabb, Forbort. I’m thinking four of those names will be on the opening night roster in two years. Two will probably make it this year.

And I still think Dean is going to trade up. Can’t you see him sending some “leadership” to the Islanders for that #5 pick?

• June 24, 2014 at 11:21 PM

I think that the variable in all of this is that he seems to have become an intense believer in what the military calls ‘unit cohesion’ since 2012. Remember, he has talked about asking successful GMs across a range of sports for advice after the first Cup win, and they mostly told him to keep the band together as much as possible. Hence, offering Stoll a 3-year extension that summer. And trying to re-sign Scuderi last summer. And giving Greene a 4-year extension this summer.

That’s also why I would be very surprised if Brown gets traded, unless continued poor performance practically forces his hand.

Vey will be given his shot next year, and I suspect this will mean moving Carter back to wing and giving Richards one last chance to center him and get it right. And reuniting Vey with Toffoli and Pearson. At least at the start of the season. I think Zykov is at least a couple of years away. I hope Prokhorkin comes to LA soon, but that seems shrouded in uncertainty right now. Andreoff seems to project as a good bottom-six guy, which would mean pitting him against King or Clifford when he’s ready and going with the winner.

But yeah, someone will have to be moved. The salary cap and the roster limit means that Dean can’t keep collecting players he likes, like a cat lady.

6. Throwdeuce
    June 25, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Gaborik signs for 7 years at a 4.8M cap hit. Great on the cap hit. Kings now have about 5M left, but 3M of that seems destined for the RFA’s.

7. toughd
    June 25, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Thought about that asset thing but coming off 3 down years and that long term?

8. toughd
    June 28, 2014 at 6:35 AM

Damn. We should have packaged richards with something and traded for kessler. Just to keep him from the ducks.

9. toughd
    July 14, 2014 at 3:26 AM

Furthermore, no self-respecting GM is gonna take that cap hit with his crap production. And even if there were a couple insane takers, no way they convince the owner to pay his salary (staggering $8.4 M in 2012-13, and dropping slowly) with his crap production. I figure the earliest a trade would be possible is 2016-17 during which he will be 33, and his salary finally drops below his cap hit at $5.5 M, but he would still have to improve on his stats in the meantime. Never mind, we’re gonna be stuck with this dude forever…