- I’m pretty sure Terry Murray would have benched Penner after the first period of this game. Sutter did not.
- Only one coach has knocked out the first three seeds in the first three rounds of the playoffs, and he’s done it twice.
- Dustin Brown check on Roszival. Sorry, Phoenix, that’s not a knee-on-knee check.
- Note to Phoenix fans: throwing crap on the ice is classless, and it also can cost your team because the ref can call a penalty against the home team.
- Oh never mind: YOUR SEASON IS OVER.
It is an LA Kings tradition that, following a loss, we snuggle up with Helene Elliott’s prickly verdict. The recipe for these articles is usually: start with a stylized but snarky opening condemnation, then alternate actual quotes from the judged with your own grumpy asides. Top it off with a curtly dismissive headline, indicating how…
None of the eleven players mentioned were undrafted UFA signings, although Lombardi has gone that route several times, most notably with Matt Moulson and Teddy Purcell (since departed), Martin Jones, Kevin Westgarth and Davis Drewiske.
Here’s how the current Kings got here, in order of arrival:
(1) yes, it’s true, Brown suckers people into taking penalties and one of his techniques is to hit someone and then go down easy when the player retaliates; (2) the key here is “WHEN THE PLAYER RETALIATES.” If you don’t want the penalty, don’t retaliate.
This was rich coming from the coach of the team that carried on like ruffians in losing Game 2 of the best-of-seven series. Kings forward Dustin Brown was fortunate he wasn’t crippled when he was driven into the boards from behind by Coyotes centre Martin Hanzal, who was suspended for Game 3. Coyotes captain Shane Doan was tossed from the same game when he hit Trevor Lewis from behind.
Conn Smythe Watch:
- Jonathan Quick, Los Angeles Kings
- Dustin Brown, Los Angeles Kings
- Brad Richards, New York Rangers
When Martin Hanzel boarded Dustin Brown in tonight’s game, with Brown lying face down and motionless on the ice, my 8 year old son had a question:
“Why are they cheering?”
People from Anaheim are not allowed to make fun of the Valley. I’m sure you’re aware that Anaheim is technically a part of the Greater Los Angeles Metropolitan Area. You’re a suburb. You’re the Valley but farther away. I’m not sure, but I think you might be the Valley, to the Valley.
In lieu of the usual post-game bullets, here is a selection of tweets from the game.
As I’m writing this, I’m watching the live #LAKings Twitter feed scroll by on the right margin of this site, and with each passing tweet the over-blown outrageous blood-lust of Blues fans is pissing me off more and more. “Let’s take out Brown. **** it.” “All the good the league did by suspending Torres is undone by not suspending King.” “Immediately disqualify cheap shot artist King.” Etc.